cromarty, the royal hotel, , dolphin ecosse (boat trips), , sutor creek, londis, sandra's, cromarty police station, cromarty post office,high street, the cromarty bakery,11-13 the emporium, plexus media,25-27 calico (isp),high street,church street,2 gardiner & gardiner,2 the pantry,church street,18 allan's,7 b&b,20 the cromarty gallery, saint regulus,oswald lane, cromarty library,24-30 cromarty antiques, courthouse museum, cromarty arms, hugh miller's cottage, cromarty east church,bank street
Cromarty is on the tip of the peninsular on the Black Isle about 25
miles (40 km) from Inverness. The town looks out over the Cromarty
Firth. Cromarty itself has a long history, the town prospered under George
Ross, a successful army agent from London who capitalised on Cromarty's
deep natural port to bring in flax and hemp from Russia. He set up a
profitable factory in 1770 to turn the hemp into material for making
cloth, mainly used in the transportation of foodstuffs. Cromarty
prospered at this time and was largely rebuilt and many new buildings,
such as the Courthouse, and the harbour were added. Once the factory closed
the area started to decline again but built up once more when the oil
platform work started at the Nigg engineering yard, a short ferry crossing across the bay.
Cromarty is also well known as the birthplace and
home of Hugh Miller, a geologist, writer and folklorist. The cottage
where he was born is now in the care of the National Trust and is open to the public.
Most recently, Cromarty East Church was featured on BBC's Restoration Village, where a campaign is under-way to restore this old and historically important church.
All the shops along Bank St, High St and Church St are shown below.
Click on shop to see more details