bonar bridge,lairg road, art shop,migdale road, handmade crafts & cafe, spar, bridge hotel, migdale smolt ltd, bonar bridge police station, crannag bistro, bank of scotland (bos), monach house b&b, business gateway, general store, creich surgery,2 bradbury centre, kyle house b&b,dornoch road, dunroamin hotel, bell ingram, gair memorial hall, bonar bridge community hall,library building rwm & km mackenzie & co,carnegie library bonar bridge library, post office, bridge salon, matheson & mcleod, the corner shop,lairg road
Bonar Bridge is a village on the north bank of the Kyle of Sutherland estuary, in the Parish of Creich in the Highland council area of Scotland.
The estuary (downstream) and the rivers (upstream) separate Sutherland from Ross and Cromarty to the south, and the estuary opens into the Dornoch Firth to the east.
The 1812 bridge, built by Thomas Telford was the first of three on this site. The current modern bridge was opened in December 1973. An interesting series of plaques around a triangular cairn chart the history of these bridges.
It was the building of the Dornoch Firth Bridge in the 1980s that removed Bonar Bridge from the main road network as this cut well over 20 miles off the route of the A9 up the east coast. This has left Bonar Bridge a much quieter place than it was.
On the opposite side of the estuary from Bonar Bridge is Ardgay, complete with a railway station on the Inverness to Thurso line.
Click on shop to see more details