aberfeldy, aberfeldy police station, offizone,11 cunningham carpets,taybridge road,9 aberfeldy gallery, black watch inn,1 green highland renewables ltd,20 gaulds,crieff road,16 (), perth library & council offices,14 aberfeldy dental laboratory, lloyds tsb, the watermill, wade newsagents,12 aberfeldy butchers,25 ckd galbraith, ( formerly the crown hotel),23 mckenzie stickland associates,4 r doig & sons, (), premier,11 aberfeldy opticians, moon & sixpence,7 davidsons chemist, braedalbane arms hotel,3 the ironmongers,8 royal bank of scotland (rbs), stuart johnston mountaineering, tourist information centre (tic), ravenswood construction ltd,7a chechek,19 sonia cooper,6 the flower shop, noa,2 j & h mitchell,7-9 country fare,2 scalliwag,3 wishing well,1 rogues,1 the munros,9 enhance, plaice in the square,13 dows, ( formerly chocolat),17-19 spar (& post office),14 the fountain,21a the quaich, bank of scotland (bos),21 pets etc, ceciliah duffy spa,23 david r clarke, co-op,25a the pantry,6 emb graphics,27 grand tully logos,8 freader's books, (),10 face fine & contemporary art,mckenzie court,12 miswaco,37 breadalbane bakery,14 windows, station hotel,20 the temple gallery, palace hotel,22 farmfresh ,32 haggarts,moress terrace, gulf, girvans, londis,50 chillies,52 john carmichael financial services,54 ross,high street
Aberfeldy - A Bustling Small Town
Aberfeldy is a bustling small town built on the south side of the the UK's largest river, the River Tay. The name Aberfeldy is derived from Abair Pheallaig (mouth of the Pheallaig Burn) and it was this burn with its plant and wild life that inspired Robert Burns to write the song that has immortalised the town: 'The Birks of Aberfeldy'.
There is a fine selection of local shops and restaurants around the main square, including The Aberfeldy Watermill
which produces stone ground oatmeal, and has a contemporary art gallery, music and coffee shop. It also has a bookshop that is one of the largest in the Highlands and won the award for Independent Bookshop of the Year for the whole of the UK in 2008. The art gallery hosts regularly changing exhibitions of work by contemporary artists.
Visitors are also welcome at the the Crannog Centre - a reconstruction of an Iron Age (2500 year old) dwelling built on timber stilts on Loch Tay. The House of Menzies is a Scottish fayre and cafe selling fine new world wines. Surrounding the original doo' cot and cattle court is a selection of works by contemporary Scottish Artists, Potters and Silversmiths - a wonderful opportunity to see and buy from an ever changing collection.
There are ample opportunities for walking around the area with the Falls of Moness and the Birks of Aberfeldy ('birks' are birch trees)) perhaps the best known. At nearby Weem is the historic Castle Menzies which dates from 1571.
Between the Jacobite wars of 1715 and 1745 the Military Roads of General Wade reached the area. Aberfeldy owes much of its growth to a bridge designed and built by William Adam; this was opened in 1733 to carry the road across the Tay. It is a beautiful structure and still in use today. Aberfeldy's first Post Office opened in 1787. The town also has an industrial history to offer local cotton weaving and milling dating back to 1799. Industry ranged from cotton through to laundry and machine tool businesses more recently. In 1865 the railway arrived as a branch line from Ballinluig to the West. Shortly afterwards a gas works was set up supplying coal gas for lighting to the town.
Today possibly the most interesting industrial heritage revolves around distilling. The history of distilling in and around Aberfeldy dates back several centuries, and as was common across Scotland; informal illegal distilling took place until changes in legislation in the first half of the nineteenth century made legal distilling more attractive, leading to fewer but usually more legitimate stills. Distilleries were set up on the outskirts of Aberfeldy and along the Tay valley at Grandtully. Grandtully distillery survived until 1909. Aberfeldy's own distillery, Pittiely, closed in 1867. It was replaced in 1896 by Aberfeldy Distillery which uses the same supply of water from the hills to the south. Aberfeldy Distillery was expanded in the 1960s and 1970s and today it is home to Dewars World of Whisky, a popular visitor attraction.
Click on shop to see more details